Research shows that for families in Houston, a high percent of marriages end in divorce. If you are planning to get a divorce, you may be going through a tough time right now. However, a skilled family law attorney in Houston will make the divorce process easy for you. A child custody attorney will help you avoid many common mistakes that can make you miserable for a long time.
The divorce process is complicated, especially when children are involved. The entire family is affected and changed, and the process may be confusing and traumatic for you. When two people get divorced in Houston, they often face many issues such as child support, child custody, and spousal support to name a few. A family lawyer will make sure your custody agreement is fair to you and your kids. An experienced attorney will also make sure the child support payments are fair. If you are a victim of domestic violence, a family law lawyer can tell you which legal steps should be taken. Speaking with a qualified lawyer in Houston is essential before you make any decisions and it will prevent future complications in your life.
These issues are emotionally trying and legally complex for all the family members who are involved. Whether you’re a mom or a dad who is seeking custody of your kids, or if you’re trying to resolve a legal matter that pertains to your children, a child custody lawyer in Houston can help you.
Family Law - Finding a Good Lawyer
The divorce process varies from state to state. However, what doesn't vary is that divorce can be very, very expensive. There are a number of reasons for this but the primary reason seems to be emotions. Emotions get us to do stupid things like paying $5000 to fight over something worth $500. Its not until the dust settles do we realize how stupid we were. While lawyers are supposed to protect you, it may be in their best interests to fan the flames of the case which will only run up your bill. Luckily, divorce mediation provides an alternative to a traditional divorce and all the headaches it can bring.
Fighting a traditional divorce case will likely require each party to hire a lawyer and pay a retainer which could start at $5000. Going through the divorce case could take years to resolve. As a result, your final bill could be tens of thousands of dollars. However, when it comes to divorce mediation, there is only one person to hire, the divorce mediator. The initial retainer will likely be less than just one attorney, let alone the two that you would have to hire. This is because a typical divorce mediation could be settled in as little as ten hours. Thus, even at $400 an hour (some rates may be much lower), the total cost to the both of you is only $4,000. This equates to a 90% cost savings or more.
If you submit your case to the court either via a motion or trial, it will be the judge who determines the outcome of your case. On the other hand, the mediator does not dictate how your case will settle. Instead, the mediator will help the both of you make all of your own decisions. When deciding if mediation is a good idea, ask yourself this: "do you really want a stranger who knows nothing about you and your family dictating your family's future?". Of course, you can back out of the divorce mediation at any time since it is voluntary. Thus, you shouldn't view it as an either-or approach. Instead, its an alternative you can try and if it doesn't work, you can still fall back on the traditional approach.
Mediation allows you to work out your divorce issues, in a private, confidential and informal atmosphere. No court appearances are required until you settle your case. You can still use a lawyer before, during or after the divorce mediation as well. Before the mediation, a lawyer can help you get some ideas about what positions you should take and how a judge may decide the case. During the mediation, a lawyer can give you some ideas on how to negotiate and what deals are good. After the mediation, a lawyer can review the settlement to make sure that it is fair and equitable.
When you work together to come up with an agreement, you can both maintain a good relationship. Since you did this together and no one forced it upon you, there won't be that bad blood that can last for years after divorce. No one screwed over the other and no one pulled a fast one. You did this together. This is especially important if you have children since no matter what happens, you will be in each other's lives forever. Thus, divorce mediation is an option worth exploring for many reasons.
Divorce Mediation - The Process and Its Perceived Advantages and Disadvantages
When you hear the word "divorce," you may automatically imagine feuding lawyers, dramatic court decisions, and a significant investment of financial resources. However, many couples wish to go through the process of divorce in a more amicable, agreeable manner and work together to reach fair solutions for each party. In these cases, divorce mediation may be the right solution.
In divorce mediation, a mediator works with both parties as they discuss their needs and wishes for the divorce settlement. The mediator can ensure that each decision the couple makes is fair to each of them and will not present additional legal or personal complications in the future. He or she can also help couples work through divorce issues that may be difficult to talk about or face without the help of an impartial third party.
While divorce mediation is not the right choice for everyone, it does have many advantages over other types of dispute resolution options and litigation, such as:
More control over the final arrangement, rather than relying on the decision of a judge
Lessened animosity between couples who wish to remain civil and calm
Fewer expenses compared to litigation and court fees
Simply because a marriage is ending does not mean that the two people involved wish to take their settlement to court. Since court decisions are binding and may not present a fair or favorable outcome for each person, couples may choose a divorce mediator so that they can have more say in their final settlement and discuss issues between them openly and fairly.
- Houston Find A Divorce Lawyer
- Bellaire Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Sugar Land Best Divorce Lawyers
- Missouri City Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Katy Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Cinco Ranch Best Family Law Attorney
- Richmond Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Rosenberg Lawyer Divorce
- Energy Corridor Divorce Lawyer Consultation
- Jersey Village Find A Divorce Lawyer
- Spring Find A Divorce Lawyer
- The Woodlands Uncontested Divorce Attorney
- Pearland International Divorce Lawyer
- Greatwood Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Fulshear International Divorce Lawyer
- Pasadena Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Piney Point Village Find A Divorce Lawyer
- Hedwig Village Divorce Lawyers For Women
- Oak Forest Best Family Law Attorney
- Sienna Plantation Best Family Law Attorney
- Pecan Grove Women Divorce Lawyers
- Aliana Divorce Lawyer Consultation
- West University Best Family Law Attorney
- Greenspoint Attorney Family
- Champion Forest Attorney Family
- Willowbrook Best Family Law Attorney
- Humble Female Divorce Lawyers
- Kingwood Divorce Lawyer Consultation
- Atascocita International Divorce Lawyer
- Cypress Find A Divorce Lawyer
- Hunters Creek Village Divorce Lawyers For Women
- Spring Valley Village Female Divorce Attorney
- New Territory International Divorce Lawyer
- Stafford Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Westchase Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Briarforest Attorney Family
- Memorial Divorce Attorney Fees
- Heights Uncontested Divorce Attorney
- River Oaks Divorce Attorney Fees
- Montrose Divorce Lawyer Consultation
- Upper Kirby Find A Divorce Lawyer
- Midtown Divorce Lawyers For Men
- Rice Military Divorce Lawyers For Men
- East Downtown Attorney Family
- Greenway Divorce Lawyer Consultation
- Clear Lake Female Divorce Lawyers
- Downtown Lawyer Divorce
- Galleria Divorce Attorney Fees
- Tomball Divorce Lawyer Consultation
- Hobby Area Female Divorce Attorney
- Rice Village Best Divorce Lawyers
- Museum District Best Family Law Attorney
- Sharpstown Attorney Family
- Gulfton Female Divorce Attorney
- Shadow Creek Ranch Find A Divorce Lawyer
- Quail Valley Divorce Lawyers For Men
- Sweetwater Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Alvin Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Friendswood Divorce Attorney Fees
- Baytown Female Divorce Lawyers
- La Porte Best Family Law Attorney
- Kemah Divorce Lawyers For Women
- La Marque Women Divorce Lawyers
- Texas City Uncontested Divorce Lawyers
- Galveston Divorce Lawyers For Men
- Rosharon Female Divorce Lawyers
- Angleton Female Divorce Lawyers
- Space Center Uncontested Divorce Attorney
- Theater District Lawyer Divorce